International Students

International students must use their passport name on all application materials.

In order to undertake graduate study, all international students and others for whom English is not their first language must present evidence of competence in the use of the English language. This may be done by taking the Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT), which is administered by the Educational Testing Service, The TOEFL code number for the Yale School of Art is 3982. Candidates for admission generally achieve a composite Internet-based score of at least 100, or a computer-based score of at least 250, with speaking and listening scores of at least 28. The TOEFL score may be waived if the undergraduate degree has been obtained from a four-year, English-speaking institution. Please note that when scores are uploaded, an “X” will appear until the official scores are received. Official scores will be processed after the application deadline, and this will have no impact on application status.

In order to receive visa documentation, admitted international students must submit proof that income from all sources will be sufficient to meet expenses for two years of study. In 2021–2022 annual expenses (including tuition) will amount to $64,297 for a single student. Evidence of funds may come from the following sources:

  1. Affidavit from a bank;
  2. Copy of an award letter stating that financial assistance has been offered;
  3. Certification by parents of their ability and intention to provide the necessary funds;
  4. Certification by employer of anticipated income.

The School of Art can make no promise of financial aid to international students. Even when financial aid is awarded, however, in no case does a Yale scholarship cover the full financial need of an international student. There are no loans available to international students through the School of Art; however, international students may qualify for private bank loans.

All international students who wish to be appointed as teaching assistants during their second year must obtain a United States Social Security number in order to be paid.