Housing and Advising Form

IMPORTANT - You will need to retrieve and activate your Yale NetID in order to view and complete this form.

Click here at noon on June 27, 2018, to find your residential college, room, roommate and first-year counselor assignment.

Learn more about your first-year counselor and request a peer liaison.

Please review all of the following information before clicking on the "complete the housing and advising form" link at the bottom of this page. The form is due on or before Saturday, May 5, 2018.

The information you provide on the Housing and Advising Form will be used to assign you to a residential college, your suite mates, and your college adviser and first-year counselor. You must complete and submit this online form in order to receive a residential college and room assignment. We strongly suggest that you start to work on the form well before the May 5th deadline. Most students prefer to complete the form in two sessions.

General Housing Information

Yale strongly believes that the best housing situations involve a group of suitemates with different backgrounds and interests, and it is our experience that students gain much from this interplay. Indeed, we believe that such interaction forms an important part of a Yale College education. This system has worked very well in the past, and we trust that you will find it rewarding.

  • Each Yale College student is a member of one of the fourteen residential colleges. 
  • Most first-year housing consists of single-sex suites on mixed-gender floors. Most suites accommodate four, five, or six first-years and typically include a common living room with attached bedrooms. First-years usually share a bedroom with a roommate. Single rooms are very limited. They may only be requested when there is a medical necessity.
  • Most student rooms are not air conditioned, and students are not ordinarily permitted to install or operate their own air conditioners.
  • Once housing has been assigned, no requests for changes will be considered.

Special Notes about Housing, Dining Services, and Accommodation for Students with Medical Conditions and Disabilities

  1. First- and second-year students are required to live on campus unless they are married or are at least twenty-one years of age. Requests for permission to live off campus for either of these reasons must be submitted in writing to first-year.affairs@yale.edu by Saturday, May 5. Eli Whitney students are not eligible to live in the residential colleges.
  2. In general, we do not honor requests for a particular college. There are just two exceptions:
    o  An incoming first-year may request the residential college in which a parent, sibling, or grandparent lived as a Yale undergraduate.
    o  When siblings will overlap as enrolled Yale undergraduates, an incoming first-year student may request the sibling’s college or ask to be randomly assigned to one of the other thirteen colleges.

    The basis for these requests must be clearly indicated on the Housing and Advising Form. The request must include the family member’s name, class year, relationship to you, and the name of the residential college. Other requests for a specific residential college will not be considered.
  3. A student who requests special consideration in rooming because of a disability or medical condition must:
    o    state the circumstances in a letter addressed to the Resource Office on Disabilities and
    o    send appropriate supporting medical documentation, signed by a treating physician and on letterhead stationery.

    A timely response is especially important because once a rooming assignment has been made it will not be possible to change it.  Although students will learn their college assignments in late June, most assignments will be made during the last week of May. Please note: many physicians have very busy practices. It is important that you contact your doctor well in advance of the May 5 deadline so that your doctor’s letter will arrive in time.

    The student’s letter and the medical documentation may be sent separately, but both must be received by Saturday, May 5, 2018. Send this information to:

    Director, Resource Office on Disabilities Yale University
    P.O. Box 208305
    New Haven, CT 06520-8305 Fax: 203-432-8250
    *If sending by Overnight, Special Delivery, UPS or Fed Ex: 35 Broadway (rear entrance), RM 222, New Haven, CT 06511
  4. Students with food allergies must notify the University so that plans can be made for necessary dietary considerations in dining halls.  For instructions on how to notify the University, please send an e-mail with the subject heading: “First-Year Student Reporting Food Allergies” to rod@yale.edu and include your name, full mailing address, and a phone number where you can be reached.

Academic Advising Information

Academic advising at Yale is a collaborative effort shared by the residential colleges, academic departments, and offices connected to the Yale College Dean’s Office. Residential deans in each of the fourteen colleges provide general academic advice about matters such as selecting courses, choosing a major, and satisfying requirements for promotion and graduation. Designated faculty in each of the academic departments and programs provide specific advice concerning placement in courses and requirements for the major. Advisers in offices allied with the Residential College Dean’s Office offer guidance about a wide range of interests, including summer opportunities, study abroad, premedical planning, fellowships, and post-graduation plans.

In addition to these advisers, you will also have a first-year counselor and a college adviser who will assist with your transition to Yale and help you identify other relevant resources on campus. Your first-year counselor is a senior in your residential college who will live near you in your entryway. Your college adviser is a faculty or staff member affiliated with your residential college who has volunteered to advise you about your academic and other interests, adjustment to Yale, and your goals for your Yale College education.

It is important to understand that you have a critical role to play in your advising relationships. Your advisers are conversation partners, not information dispensers, and you should prepare to participate in these conversations by first reflecting on your interests and goals. You can begin that conversation by thoughtfully answering the questions that relate to your academic and extra-curricular interests on the second half of this form.