Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Yale School of Nursing has long been an innovator and leader in education, practice, and scholarship. Faculty research covers a wide array of topics that encompass and address health disparities and well-being of underrepresented and structurally marginalized populations. The YSN Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (ODEI) directly contributes to YSN by guiding the school’s advancement of equity and cultivating a sense of belonging, thereby creating an environment of inclusive excellence that is reflective of the communities that we serve and that supports the overall mission of YSN.
YSN ODEI strives to promote and uphold a community that is representative of diversity in all forms, equality, equity, and inclusion. YSN ODEI supports Belonging at Yale’s (https://belong.yale.edu) institution-wide pursuit to develop an environment where we can be our authentic selves, pursue our full human potential, and freely engage in the vibrant life of a scholarly community and its quest for excellence.
The ODEI vision is for YSN to be the exemplar for inclusive excellence where diversity, equality, equity, inclusion, and belonging are epitomized, and all members of the community are empowered to achieve a sense of actualization.
- Actively enhance diversity among YSN faculty, staff, and students through innovative and evidence-based methods of recruitment, retention, career development, and advancement.
- Develop and employ strategies to increase representation and enhance inclusion, belonging, and support for faculty, staff, and students from underrepresented identity groups.
- Provide education, training and development, and community-building opportunities aimed at increasing diversity competencies of all YSN faculty, staff, preceptors, and students.
- Provide platforms for all YSN faculty, staff, and students to share their experiences and engage in diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) efforts, including supporting the IDEAS Council as a representative delegation of all YSN constituents.
- Provide consultation and support to YSN faculty, staff, and students on DEIB matters.
- Lead in the accountable implementation and sustainability of the YSN DEIB plan.
- Provide support and access to reporting for issues related to sexual misconduct, discrimination, and harassment.
- Celebrate the DEIB excellence of YSN faculty, staff, students, and alums.
- Engage YSN alums and surrounding communities in YSN DEIB efforts.
- Collaborate across YSN and other Yale units on DEIB initiatives.
ODEI is also responsible for the implementation of bias, harassment, discrimination, and other misconduct procedures for YSN. These procedures are administered through collaborative efforts between the associate dean for equity and the ODEI director, who also serve YSN as Title IX coordinators and discrimination and harassment resource (DHR) coordinators. Title IX and DHR coordinators are identified as YSN community members with the responsibility to receive student concerns and offer advice and guidance related to diversity and inclusion, discrimination and harassment, and equal opportunity. These roles equitably support and respond to the needs of students, faculty, and staff.
For more information, please contact the YSN Director of ODEI, Maurice Nelson, at email@example.com or the Associate Dean for Equity, Dr. Angela Richard-Eaglin, at firstname.lastname@example.org.