Academic Resources

Center for Teaching and Learning

The Yale Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) provides an array of teaching, tutoring, writing, and technology-enabled learning programs distributed across the University. The Center supports effective course design and promotes evidence-based teaching methods for University instructors, including faculty and teaching assistants. The Center also supports student learning and provides opportunities for students to develop as teachers, mentors, and leaders. More information is available on the Web site of the Center for Teaching and Learning.

Center for Language Study

The Center for Language Study (CLS), provides resources for students of foreign languages and for language courses. The CLS also provides support for nonnative speakers of English through its English Language Program. For undergraduates enrolled in a foreign language course, the CLS offers peer tutoring in the target language. For students in Yale College and in the graduate and professional schools, the CLS offers specialized language programs such as Directed Independent Language Study (DILS) for the study of languages not taught at Yale, and the Fields program for discipline-specific and advanced language study. For professional school students, the CLS offers courses in language for special purposes, such as Spanish or Chinese for medical professionals. All language learners at Yale have access to CLS facilities, including its study rooms and multimedia labs. For more information, including hours, a list of resources, and information about Yale’s foreign language requirement and placement testing, see the Center’s Web site.

Expository Writing

The English department offers several courses specifically designed to prepare students for writing throughout the University, and other departments in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences complement this offering with courses (designated WR in the course listings) that give special attention to the conventions and expectations of writing in particular disciplines.

Beyond the regular departmental offerings, the Yale College Writing Center, a unit of the Yale Center for Teaching and Learning, provides several ways for students to get help with writing. The most important of these is the presence of a Writing Tutor in each residential college. Tutors meet with students on a one-to-one basis to discuss rough drafts of work in progress, research techniques, revision strategies, or other matters relevant to effective writing. Tutors can help with any writing project: senior essays, course papers, graduate school and fellowship applications, or anything intended for publication. The Writing Partners, another resource, are undergraduate and graduate students who offer drop-in help to students at any stage of writing. Finally, the Writing Center Web site offers information on using sources effectively and avoiding plagiarism.

The Yale College Writing Center is maintained through the continuing support of the Bass family, the Newhouse Foundation, and other foundations. Its mission is to encourage excellence in writing and the use of writing for learning throughout the College. More detailed information is available on the Writing Center Web site.

Science and Quantitative Reasoning Tutors

Tutoring programs for science and quantitative reasoning courses are offered through the Yale Center for Teaching and Learning. The Residential College Math and Science Tutoring program offers tutoring in the residential colleges to all Yale College students. Tutoring is available at scheduled times and on a walk-in basis, and is provided in all areas of math and science as well as in economics. Information about tutoring can be found at each residential college dean’s office and on the Residential College Math and Science Tutoring Web site.

To assist students who require more personalized or longer-term support, the Center for Teaching and Learning also administers a Science and QR Tutoring program. This program provides small-group tutoring to undergraduates in the full range of science and quantitative disciplines, including economics. Any student enrolled in Yale College who is experiencing academic difficulty in a course, as confirmed by the instructor, is eligible for up to ten hours of tutoring per course each term free of charge. Further information is available at each residential college dean’s office and on the CTL Web site.

Resource Office on Disabilities

To ensure that all students have an equal opportunity to make the most of their Yale education, the Resource Office on Disabilities facilitates individual accommodations for students with disabilities, and works to remove physical and attitudinal barriers to their full participation in the University community. The office provides technical assistance, information, and disability awareness training to any member of the Yale community.

Current and prospective students with disabilities are encouraged to contact the Resource Office on Disabilities to schedule a meeting with staff at 35 Broadway (rear entrance), room 222. Inquiries can be made by mail to Resource Office on Disabilities, Yale University, P.O. Box 208305, New Haven, CT 06520-8305, or by phone at (203) 432-2324. Additional information is available on the Resource Office Web site.