YCPS and Related Publications
Yale College Programs of Study (YCPS) is the primary source of information about the curriculum of Yale College. Published on line in mid-June, the YCPS contains the official listing of Yale College courses, requirements, and regulations.
The Freshman Web site contains placement information and advice from academic departments about courses appropriate for freshmen. It includes Yale College policies concerning acceleration and is also the primary source of information about placement policies in departments offering the possibility of acceleration credit.
The Advising Resources for Freshmen and Sophomores Web site, maintained by the Office of Academic Affairs, provides a variety of resources for first- and second-year students and their advisers. The site offers information about selecting courses and majors, advising, and the Yale College distributional requirements, as well as a calendar of events relevant to freshmen and sophomores.
It is the responsibility of the DUS to gather and transmit updates for all these publications by the dates specified. Keeping to the production schedule of the YCPS is especially important, and the deadlines set for the submission of copy permit little flexibility. Because the methods and timetables by which departments plan their curricula vary, some DUSes may find that they must remind their colleagues of the stringency of YCPS deadlines.
The publication date for the YCPS has been fixed so that the catalog will be available to students well before the opening of classes. It is from that publication date that the schedule works backward, and the schedule cannot be breached without jeopardy to the publication itself. Courses activated or added to the curriculum after the YCPS deadline are not included in the initial online publication. They are added to the YCPS site and to the Online Course Information system (OCI) before the beginning of each term.
The deadlines for YCPS copy fall in early February (see Deadlines and Updates in this section), but there is ample opportunity throughout the spring term for DUSes to submit changes as they arise.
Questions about the publications and topics below may be directed to the contact listed.
- Yale College Programs of Study (YCPS): Emily Shandley, Associate University Registrar, 246 Church Street, 432-2337
- Freshman Web site: Beth Baumgartel, Assistant University Registrar, 246 Church Street, 432-7863
- Calendar for the Opening Days of College: Hannah Peck, Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, 110 SSS, 432-2927
- Advising Resources for Freshmen and Sophomores Web site: Risa Sodi, Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs & Director of Advising and Special Programs, SSS 24, 432-8427
- CourseLeaf CIM Form: Emily Shandley, secretary to the Chair of the Course of Study Committee, 246 Church Street, 432-2337
- Room assignments: Craig Canfield, Assistant University Registrar, 246 Church Street, 432-6215
Topics in this section: