Graduate and Professional School Courses

Students requesting to elect a graduate course should enter the course on their registration worksheet. Most graduate courses, other than those designated independent study, are open with permission to undergraduate students. Please refer to the University Registrar’s website for details on which graduate and professional school courses have been approved for Yale College credit. 

Properly qualified undergraduates may enroll in an unlimited number of courses in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences with permission of the instructor and the director of graduate studies. Undergraduates in these courses are obviously expected to do graduate-level work, and the courses are listed by their graduate numbers on their transcripts.        

Students requesting to elect a professional school course should, for the fall 2023 term, enter the course on their registration worksheet for zero credit, then complete a “Blue Form” to request permission of the instructor and professional school. The blue form becomes available once registration starts for a term. If approved, the University Registrar’s Office will award appropriate course credit. An alternative process is currently under review for the spring 2024 term. If the process changes, DUSs, staff, and students will be notified. In the meantime, note that systems for the award of course credit in the professional schools differ from those in the graduate school and that not all courses in these schools yield a full course credit in Yale College. Also note that there is a limit to the number of professional school courses that an undergraduate may take. See Special Academic Problems under The Committee on Honors and Academic Standing.

Courses in SOM require an additional request form found on the SOM website.