Student Grievances

The Yale School of Public Health follows the university’s policy that governs any case in which a student has a complaint, including but not limited to a complaint of sexual harassment or a complaint of discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, or sexual orientation, against a member of the faculty or administration of the complainant’s school. Since an instructor’s evaluation of the quality of a student’s work is final, this procedure does not apply in any dispute about a grade assigned to a student by a member of the faculty, unless it is alleged that the determination of the grade resulted from discrimination as described above. Similarly, this procedure does not apply to any matter inherent in the academic freedom of an instructor, such as, for example, in regard to the syllabus or contents of a course of instruction. It is also not a procedure that may be used when there is a complaint about the quality of a course or the quality of instruction in a course; such concerns may be addressed directly to the department in question.

If you believe that a student, faculty member, or staff member has engaged in discrimination or harassment other than gender discrimination or sexual misconduct (see for more information), you may report your concerns to either:

  1. your dean’s designee (, an administrator at your school who serves as a resource for students with concerns about discrimination or harassment; or
  2. the Office of Institutional Equity and Access (, a university-wide office which assists with dispute resolution and investigates reports of discrimination and harassment.

Both your dean’s designee and the OIEA may employ a variety of means to help you to resolve your concerns, including discussing your options with you and providing support, facilitating a mediated resolution through discussion and engagement, providing training and education, or conducting a factual inquiry or a more formal investigation. If it is not possible to reach a resolution satisfactory to both parties, then:

  • a report concerning another student may be referred the student’s school for possible disciplinary action;
  • a report concerning a staff member may be referred to the staff member’s supervisor; or
  • a report concerning a faculty member may be referred to the faculty member’s dean who will address it according to the Faculty Standards of Conduct and related procedures.

In all cases, the first step for a Yale student seeking to report discrimination or harassment is always the same: contact either your dean’s designee or the OIEA. These two resources will work with you to further explain your options and the processes for addressing your concerns.

More information about Student Discrimination and Harassment Reporting and Response can be found at

Complaints of sexual misconduct, including sexual harassment and sexual assault, may be brought to a Title IX coordinator or to the University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct (for inquiries or for informal or formal resolution). For more information on the University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct (UWC), see Resources to Address Discrimination and Harassment Concerns, Including Sexual Misconduct in the chapter Yale University Resources and Services. UWC procedures can be found at