Graduate and Professional School Courses

Students might ask you about registering for graduate and professional school courses. It's a good idea to recommend they talk with their academic dean; however, you may provide the following information.

Students requesting to elect a graduate course should enter the course on their registration worksheet. Most graduate courses, other than those designated independent study, are open without permission to undergraduate students. Please refer to the University Registrar’s website for details on which graduate and professional school courses have not been approved for Yale College credit. 

Properly qualified undergraduates may enroll in an unlimited number of courses in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Undergraduates in these courses are obviously expected to do graduate-level work, and the courses are listed by their graduate numbers on their transcripts.    

Students requesting to elect a professional school course* should enter the course on their registration worksheet for zero credit, then complete a “Blue Form” to request permission of the instructor and professional school. The blue form becomes available once registration starts for a term. If approved, the University Registrar’s Office will award appropriate course credit. Because professional schools register students on a different timeline, students might not hear if they are approved to enroll in the course until add/drop period. You might want to suggest that they have an alternate course in mind.

Note also that systems for the award of course credit in professional schools differ from those in the graduate school and that not all courses in these schools yield a full course credit in Yale College. Also, note that there is a limit to the number of professional school courses that an undergraduate may take. See Courses in the Yale Graduate and Professional Schools.  

*The School of Management does not require that students submit a blue form, instead, they ask students to submit the request form found on the SOM website